Monday 14 December 2009

CLOUD COMPUTING, GOOGLE & ICT4D

A little while back my Dad showed me an article in the Los Angeles Times that indicated the city of Los Angeles would be the first major American city to change to Gmail and utilize Google’s cloud computing technology. As a former employee of Google and a strong believer in the company’s policies, not unlike our current president, I was happy to hear the news. On the other hand, I found myself embarrassingly unfamiliar with the details of cloud computing, so I spent the next couple of days becoming informed. It is, as many are saying, fascinating!

Having a particular interest in India, I have not surprisingly been exposed to the role of technology for development since the beginning of my studies. My first year at Berkeley marked a peak period for global software outsourcing (GSO) in India. Information and communications technology for development (ICT4D) was the focus of my Masters degree. I wrote my final dissertation on evaluating the use of open source software in development efforts in India.

After learning about cloud computing, my mind naturally turned to the thought of its potential in the context of India. Although there are obvious barriers to an easy implementation – connectivity being the easiest to point out – surely, there are areas of India that can look to take the leap of faith that Los Angeles did. If Kerala can set up a distance learning program that functions entirely through satellite technology, perhaps it can also pursue an e-governance project, transitioning government work over to Gmail.

No comments: